03 May 2012

10 Things Your Commencement Speaker Won't Tell You

5. Help stop the Little League arms race. Kids' sports are becoming ridiculously structured and competitive. What happened to playing baseball because it's fun? We are systematically creating races out of things that ought to be a journey. We know that success isn't about simply running faster than everyone else in some predetermined direction. Yet the message we are sending from birth is that if you don't make the traveling soccer team or get into the "right" school, then you will somehow finish life with fewer points than everyone else. That's not right. You'll never read the following obituary: "Bob Smith died yesterday at the age of 74. He finished life in 186th place."


read more...

3 comments:

  1. Too many parents pushing everything they wanted to do, but could never be bothered, onto their children (instruments & sports mostly).

    It took me until I had left school and started university for me to realise that that was not what life was about, and a success story in life didn't mean grades. Society is fucked up though: we get force fed that university is the way to go

    ReplyDelete
  2. How are you anyway? I went to facebook stalk you the otherday, to see what was new in your life but you'd gone! Disappeared! Nada!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am well! I heard on the news that Facebook was valued at $100 billion. I know that its share price has dropped a lot, but it still seems ridiculously overvalued.

      Plus I just think Google is so much better...

      Delete