09 March 2012

Do you have trouble understanding your professor because of his/her thick accent?

"Over the last couple of years I've seen several threads complaining about the difficulty learning from professors who have thick accents. I work at a Fortune 100 technology company and I thought I'd share something I've learned: If you want to be a competitive job candidate when you're done with school, you have to be able to communicate effectively with non-native English speakers. To be more blunt, stop complaining and treat it as a learning opportunity.
I throw this out there because most the posts in those threads were about how universities shouldn't hire teachers who have a language barrier. I completely disagree. At my company, and lots of the other top companies, the focus is on hiring the best minds in the world. And although this might surprise some people, the majority of those minds aren't born and raised in America.
I could go on and on about this subject because I think it's a very important skill for the modern worker but suffice to say, it's to your benefit to figure this out while you're still in school rather than when you're sitting in a big job interview."

No comments:

Post a Comment