13 February 2012

Other than looking incredibly goofy and pointless, what the heck is the point of those things (trekking poles) anyways?

I chuckled at (t)his bit. 




Ever notice how four-legged animals can move faster over rough terrain than us two legged ones? Sure, us humans are great at long distance running through vast plains, but we don't do so well in rougher environments, especially with packs on. We tend to fall and injure our ankles. While some have tried to solve that with heavy boots that provide extra ankle support, using poles can be a much more effective solution. In addition, you can get extra support while on slippery slopes and unstable ground. Poles can reduce the stress on your knees and lower back too, which you will wish you had taken better care of once you get through your twenties.


See that I have absolutely no problem with. For health and safety, if you have bad balance, are actually on rough terrain, or have a bad back, I dunno whatever else plagues hikers and outdoorsy enthusiasts.


This though!


LOOK
five things wrong with this picture
1.They are walking
2. Trekking poles.
2.  On a road.
3.They look unhealthily skinny . 
4. They look like they're like twelve? ^_^
5. They are walking.


^_^ (maybe its because I'm from the South, but for some reason I say like a lot)

Sassy devil.


I call the interposition of wilderness chic. Why do I need to consume this in order to be more fit and healthy? 


As a consumer, we need to ask ourselves where draw the line. Will I accept this subliminal messaging of mass conformity, calm as Hindu cows jogging along in our Nike "fitness appropriate" athletic wear. Gone are the days I could just 'go outside' to 'go outside'. Nowadays, even this aspect of our lives is becoming commercialized so we can get it spoon fed to us too. That's something I am not willing to accept as a necessity of 

survival

Just how much of our technology really makes us better, as a civilization, and how much of it just slows us down?

_______________________________________________________


A girl dressed as a bear and a very large bear dressed as a ... girl?
For me this is where the distinction becomes blurry.

Did you see that not only did I put that "They are walking." twice (#'s 1 and 5) but I also put two two's. Instead of fixing it while I was editing this, I posted a comment, because I like my blog posts not making logic. Sense. Words.

Nuuuuuuuuuuu.

Where does one draw the line?
Aesthetics, or things pertaining to taste and pleasure (art, literature, music, dance) have no real tangible value, yet in today's society they are highly valued. At a still highly individual level, video games produce no real value, yet they are similarly highly valued in today's society both in price  and the amount of time individuals commit to patronizing them (though the prices might be changing soon).


No comments:

Post a Comment