26 November 2011

in a bubble

Can you drown a fish?


Something  or someone inside me woke up and I was suddenly running though I didn't know why or where.

What felt like people chasing me quickly melted into the familiarity of a race, though I couldn't recall a beginning and I didn't know where the end was. I would have stopped and asked myself, "What am I doing?", though I couldn't because I was nervous it was all real and if I did I would LOSE and they would WIN.

The maddening pace of others around me picked up, while my dream legs grew weary and cumbersome. As the others accelerated I fell behind, until they were a pinpoint in the distance that I lost sight of over the next curve. Sweat broke out over my forehead, every drop pricking my eyes with salty defeat. Reverse tears, as if this were a thing to cry about.

The forest ended sometime between two heart beats, the picturesque woodlands simply dissolving before my eyes into a sanctuary I knew all too well. A vast panorama of an estuary with boats cruising up and down it, the only visible part of them from this colossal distance being their white sails, permanently puffed out to full capacity by the strong wind.


Aware of the uphill to my left, and craving the status of being alone, I turned right. If it takes me or breaks me, I hope it makes me, well, better. Such is the thought process. I blink twice and I'm driving the Honda CR-V, heading west towards the setting sun. Less alone knowing I'm not the only one, more done though because my heart feels a heavy ton. Don't worry though, Mum, 'cause home here I come.

So I kept on going.
Going.
And going.

No comments:

Post a Comment