25 October 2011

mentor

You’d get a phone call at 3 a.m., and he used to call me “Colonel Depp,” because he made me a Kentucky colonel, and he’d say, “Colonel, what do you know of black-hairy-tongue disease?” And I was like, “What? I don’t know!” He’d say, “Well, I’m going to send you all the information about this, man. We must be aware of this thing.” He was deeply concerned that the disease would infiltrate our ranks.

   
Left: Johnny Depp as Paul Kemp in "The Rum Diary." Right: Hunter S. Thompson in Bug Sur circa 1960., Peter Mountain / Courtesy of Filmdistrict and GK Films (left); Courtesy of Ammo Books
The Hunter from 1959 and 1960 was this long, lean, athletic, handsome man, who used to type The Great Gatsby over and over to see what it felt like to write a masterpiece. He was a kid searching for his voice and looking for the outlet for that rage, anger, and passion.
__________
Great Article

No comments:

Post a Comment